Our Children’s Medicine is building a future where Indigenous and diverse job seekers have equal access to, and are properly represented amongst Canadian business.
Our Children's Medicine (OCM) achieves this through a dual approach focusing on employment systems and job seeker development.
- OCM works to ‘Indigenize’ current recruitment policies to reflect the values and traditions of the Indigenous community.
- We will develop an education module about Indigenous history for all managers to experience, particularly those who will be working with Indigenous job seekers and/or employees.
- Provide practical advice and suggestions about how to become involved with the Indigenous community outside of employment.
- OCM keeps employers honest and accountable by providing feedback on success to ensure a business is ‘walking the walk’.
- Advise on further systems change to open lines of communication between departments, spread awareness and understand of your relationships with OCM enterprise wide to ensure the success of Indigenous employees and our partnership.
- Indigenous targeted, assessment-based job postings on OCM’s HigherMe platform allows Indigenous job seekers to shine by utilizing lived, practical and cultural skillsets.
- Mobile optimized application process allows job seekers to apply with ease and no resume required!
- Using individual feedback from employer partners, OCM works with job seekers to refine future applications and suggest minor tweaks to ensure a greater chance of achieving employment.
- OCM uses a ‘skills-based approach’ to recommend employment opportunities to job seekers in OCM’s Talent Pool.
- Continuous talent development and safety through SMS text support.
- Recommendation for further education and training via partner organizations.
'As we built out a new team at EDC focusing on Indigenous-led businesses across Canada, we wanted a bright student to join us but were a bit stuck on where to start! OCM was fantastic at educating us about hiring practices that are inclusive to Indigenous students. The OCM was so helpful with everything from wording in our job poster, crafting a hiring platform with questions unique to our role, and connecting us with students who were interested in our business. We are thrilled with the student we hired and he is contributing in great ways to the work we are doing in the Indigenous-led exporting space'.
- Gaby Patenaude, Talent Acquisition Advisor, Export Development Canada
‘BDC is proud to partner with Our Children's Medicine in connecting with Indigenous job seekers and youth. OCM has an innovative and energetic approach that is contagious. Always willing to help us, OCM understand our business and helps us have a tangible long-term impact’.
- Ellen Austin, Director, Diversity and
Inclusion, Business Development Bank of Canada
Indigenous and diverse job seekers face multiple systemic barriers to employment
Thoughtful community partnerships allows OCM to connect with Indigenous job seekers
'By creating platforms that focus on highlighting the responsibilities held by Indigenous peoples in their communities, in addition to each candidate’s attributes, Our Children’s Medicine has changed the way non-Indigenous organizations understand the incredibly diverse and valuable skillsets Indigenous peoples have to offer. Beyond changing the way non-Indigenous organizations interact with Indigenous talent, Our Children’s Medicine is also run by a dedicated group of consummate professionals who are passionate advocates for a Canadian workforce that celebrates Indigeneity'.
- Jon Davey, Vice-President Indigenous Financial Services, Scotiabank
“When given the task to find Indigenous Enigneers In Training’s for our Thunder Bay and Sudbury teams, OCM turned around a great list of candidates within a few weeks! To top it off, they’ve been an absolute pleasure to work with and I’m excited about our joint commitment to give recruits the training and experience they need to advance their careers!"
- Chelsie Klassen, Global Director, Indigenous Engagement - HATCH
Through HigherMe, Indigenous job seekers get hired by reconciliation-focused national brands
Our Partners, Supporters & Collaborators*
* the above is a nonexhaustive list since 2017
Thank you to our generous supporters!
John & Jan MacIntyre
The Toronto Foundation
Peter and Catherine Hellyer
Amanda and John Sherrington
The Viscountess Mackintosh of Halifax
Birch Hill Equitiy Partners
Since September 2017, we've set the course towards building a sustainable, national employment tool.
businesses have hired with OCM
candidates in our Talent Pool
since Sept 2017
Our Children's Medicine
Our Children's Medicine (OCM) was founded by Josh Hellyer and Birch Hill Equity Partners. OCM is a Canadian registered charity: 790064885 RR 0001 .
Oversight and governance is provided by Birch Hill Equity Partners.